Home Renovations that Add Value to Your Home
1) Finishing a basement is not an easy task, but potential buyers consider the useable square footage of a home when shopping. A finished basement is an investment that can add a lot of value to your home, but you will want to make sure that you’ve insulated properly and protected against moisture. Also remember that you will need several permits for this job.
COST: The average basement reno can cost you anywhere between $75-$90 a square foot in the greater Seattle area, depending on your finishes and if you finish a bathroom. You can expect a 75% return on investment for your basement renovation.
2) A kitchen remodel, if done right, is sure to add to the value of your house. You will enjoy an even higher return if you are remodeling an older, outdated kitchen. This will include upgrading your cabinets, your stove and refrigerator, your flooring and even your sinks and faucets.
The kitchen’s functionality and accessibility is becoming more and more important.
COST: The average kitchen remodel will cost you about $20,000-$50,000. If you upgrade all of your appliances, you are looking at between $6,000 and $12,000, depending on the make and model. You can expect to recoup over 80% of your investment.
3) A roof replacement. How do you know it’s time for a new roof? Take a look up – are your shingles buckling, curled, or missing altogether? That’s a sign it’s time to re-shingle.
Consider solar panels as well. Buyers may hesitate to have them installed themselves, but will be attracted to houses where the solar panels are installed already. As long as you choose your material carefully, have it installed properly, and choose a roofing system with a good warranty, you’ll have a good roof. The technology put into roofing materials has come a long way. You’re sure to find a good material to last a long time
4) New windows can freshen up the appearance of your home, and replacing existing windows with energy efficient ones can save the homeowner a significant amount of money in heating and cooling costs. Drafty windows can turn off potential buyers.
COST: Replacing the windows can cost around $10,000 at least (depending on the number of windows), but it’s one investment that you can make your money back. If you choose the most energy efficient windows, it is possible that the installation cost will be offset by how much you save over time on your heating and cooling.
5) Bathroom and kitchen renovations are the most popular home improvement projects. You can expect to recover 75% of your investment (according to appraisals). Replacing an outdated vanity, old plumbing and lighting fixtures or adding a new tile floor — will guarantee a lot of bang for your buck and give your bath an updated, modern look.
If you are considering a full bathroom remodel, you will be looking at changing the flooring, the vanity, shower, tub and toilet. Make energy efficient updates, as they will be good for your home’s resale value.
Call Sound Pacific for all your home projects. We look forward to building with you.